Thursday, February 26, 2015

Color Blind? An Experiment For All Races







Color Blind? An Experiment For All The Races
Jessica Porter
Community College of Baltimore County







Abstract
What happens when you take the power away from the powerful?  In an experiment created by, American teacher, Jane Elliot we find out.  When she segregated people by eye color, blue or brown, then inferring one group is superior than the other, we get a small glimpse in racial discrimination and its effects.



            I recently watched a very provocative video, A Class Divided.  In the video Jane Elliot attempts to teach children and adults about racism.  Mrs. Elliot has a very controversial way of demonstrating racism and discrimination.  Some may categorize it as bullying, but I believe it shows there is more racism beneath the surface than people would like to admit.  In the formal part of the video Jane Elliot places third grade white students in two groups blue eyed people and brown eyed people.  The first day the whole class was told that the blue eyed children were more superior than the brown eyed children, and they were given special treatment while the brown eyed children were mocked.  The following day the roles were reversed.  The experiment showed not only the human nature of abusing power, but also how discrimination negatively affects a person.  Both groups of children scored significantly lower on tests the day they were singled out as inferior.  In contrast to when they were lead to believe they were superior to the other group.
            The latter part of the video we see the same experiment implemented on adults.  This part affected me the most and left a very profound impression on me.  Even though I was only watching the video, and understood the point that was being made I found myself getting angry.  I happen to be blue-eyed and began placing myself in the position of the blue-eyed participants.  I know if, I was there I would have held a huge grudge against the brown-eyed people who made mean comments about the “blues” even after the exercise was over.  That is when I had a revelation!  Unfortunately even today it’s not uncommon to hear or even as a white person to sometimes think, that some people of minorities have “chips” on their shoulders and are resentful.  I, myself will admit that I have thought that about others and never understood what they were so upset about.  Now I get it! After, only watching people who looked like me be discriminated against I, myself became resentful.  If I would have to deal with actual discrimination on a daily bases I would have a huge chip on my shoulder.  That bit of insight will stay with me for the rest of my life.  I feel like watching this experiment made me a better person and for now on I will try to understand a person’s feelings not just judge them on their attitudes. 


References
Cobb, C. (Writer), and Peters, W. (Writer and Director). (1985) A Class Divided [Television series episode]. In D. Fanning (Executive Producer), Frontline. Boston, MA: PBS.

No comments:

Post a Comment